What We Do
Breakthrough Energy Catalyst is a novel platform that funds and invests in project companies utilizing emerging climate technologies that reduce emissions. By investing in these opportunities, Catalyst seeks to accelerate the adoption of these technologies worldwide and reduce their Green Premiums.
Catalyst both funds large demonstration projects and invests in first-of-a-kind commercial-scale projects that use key emerging climate technologies. To date, Catalyst has raised over $1 billion of direct capital to deploy in project funding opportunities. In addition to capital, Catalyst leverages the team’s energy-infrastructure-investing and project-development expertise to work with innovators on advancing their projects from the development stage to funding and ultimately, to construction.
Catalyst focuses on projects where we believe, with the right capital solutions and expertise, cleaner alternatives can displace carbon-intensive technologies. These could include:
- Clean Hydrogen to decarbonize industry and transportation
- Long Duration Energy Storage to provide cleaner and more reliable power in addition to heat
- Sustainable Aviation Fuel to power aviation
- Direct Air Capture to remove CO2 from the atmosphere
- Manufacturing to decarbonize cement, steel, plastics, textiles, and fertilizers